Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I lay my head beside the willow tree

Common of a sunny day
Me reclining in the light-gilt
living room saw my Mother
approach and say,
"See this peach."
(holding it out for me)
"It's fuzzy and sweet,
but inside it sleeps a bitter seed,
a stone to make a tree.
Think," she said to me,
"Of the wonder of a tree,
that from wood and leaves
a peach should be!"

She shuffled away, and I sat
stricken and reeling on the couch.
For the sun in my eye,
I could not see, and thus
was left to my own device.

What a marvel was a tree,
said she,
and I tended to agree.
Thinking further, I came to see
how we all did come from trees.

How from that tree plucked us
our general progenitors,
with choosy hands,
passing down that bitter seed,
and for a while to me it seemed,
hardly could a soul from trees be gleaned;

but in all the hewn wood,
life,
threshing words,
spilling sap, tremulous
and overgrown,
house to ivy, ringlets and ladder,
moss graves, finches, sparrows,
bright bulbs, berries, snow-fallen,
morning's anchor and worms' parasol,
bench on which the fawn would lay,
dancing through the dappled day;
Through that I see a tree,
and in it,
I see we.

No comments:

Post a Comment