Wednesday, November 4, 2009

they also serve

I stood in the room with only a telephone,
and I have never been more expectant in my life.
I didn't want it to ring, really,
but never have I expected something more:
never crouched in the woods, expecting the police,
never went sailing and expected fair weather,
never expected the Yankees would lose;
never expected to be called in to work,
and never expected a raise (God, never);
never trudged home expecting a good dinner,
never expected Mother's stern disapproval;
never sat by a deathbed and expected a goodbye,
never expected blood to feel so hot;
never forgot what I expected I would remember,
but never did I expect to remember anything in the first place,
like how I never expected to remember my school days,
or expect a "please,"
or expect that one day behind the old rusty fence where the road changed to grass,
and never have I expected that surly L-word after a really long kiss;
but let's be honest, I never expected that kiss to happen,
and never expected that word to be said through gritted teeth;
and I never expected those stains would actually come out,
and I never expected I'd miss them;
I never expected the sun not to rise,
never expected lokcjwa,
and I never expected to live for quite a long time;
but it's funny

No comments:

Post a Comment